Friday, April 4, 2008

Genealogy of Family Heirloom A Flintlock

I think I am very luck to have found this weapon. I owned it long before I knew anything about it.
A Volks Wagon repair man Mr Zapp, also dabbeld in guns, had purchased it from a auction in Amsterdam,N.Y. when the contents of the Smith bakery was sold in 1948. At the time I was buying all sorts of guns my collection had over 1000 handguns and shoulder arms always looking for more so I stopped to see him, he told me about a flint lock he had but it was not for sale he was keeping it to get a big price from a guy by name of "Lord" whom he had head was a gun dealer and interested in history. I assured him this guy "Lord" would not pay him any bonus in fact I told him "Lord" would probably not even buy it as it's in to bad a shape. Well after an hour or so, and the thought of immediate cash convinced him and I came home with the gun.









It is a beautiful piece in very bad condition, a Connecticut weapon made probably in the late 1700's It was given a special place in my collection. On the top of barrel
there is a German silver inlay and this is inscribed with J.LORD, this is
why the dealer in Tribes Hill new I would want it.

The story took several years to develop, in 1948 I had no idea who my grt. Grandfather was let alone who J.Lord was but just felt it would come to pass.

In 1949 my parents and my wife and I purchased a store in Canada Lake, N.Y. shortly after we built a couple of cabins and hired a Wally Crispin to put in Fireplaces. We become very friendly with Walley and his wife Harriet.

Several years later we had purchased Pine Lake Park, and Harriet Crispin lived in the park area, she brought me a large envelope with some pictures of a Mary Smith who had owned a camp just past Pine Lake, she had died several years ago-her and her husband Stanton Smith had owned the bakery in Amsterdam,N.Y. and one picture had name Mary Lord written on it, so she thought I should have it. So it put it away the light was still not coming on.

Then about the same time I learned about "Barney" Lord, Byington Lord who's father was Martin Lord, his father was Anson. Now Anson's father is Joseph Lord born 1762 married Elisabeth Johnson. Their son Anson Lord, born1786 died 1877 , married Betsey Byington, born 1788 died 1883, their oldest son was Daniel St John Lord, born 1815, married to Virginia Wells born 1839 died 1903, she was from Virginia, he married her while in Civil War, that's another story, they had a son Charles D. Lord, born 1867 died 1938. They also had two daughters Mary Ione bn 1871 died 19 oct 1948,wife of Stanton Smith, and another daughter Ida born 1874 died 1932.

The gun went from the owner Joseph Lord to his son Anson, he had sold his home and was living with a daughter, but the gun went to his oldest son Daniel, who died 1877, Virginia, his wife gave it to Charles who died in 1938 , his sister Ida was already dead so the gun went to Mary Ione lord Smith, wife of Stanton, and she died in 1948, with no children, her estate was auctioned off. Mr Zapp. bought the gun and I got it from him. The Crispin's had been very friendly with the Smiths and recall seeing the gun over the fireplace in the camp.

It is in need of restoration, I hope that as it passes from me to my son Lansing Lord, that it will remain with him, that he might pass it along to one of his children Spencer or Heather, Its a magnificent example of a early "cod fish rifle" and I am extremely happy that I was able to find it and be able to piece together the genealogy of the flintlock which has been handed down for so many generations-temporarily lost, but recovered, that it might remain with the family for years to come.

No comments: